Short review with pictures and maps about the field, geology, the village
and the prices of the competition of the
Autumn Spartacus Cup of 2006
The field and its orienteering-maps: The field of the Autumn Spartacus Cup of 2006 is
located between Csákberény and Gánt. So, this year the new centre of the competition is Csákberény. The field
of the competition is perhaps richer with details than the already known orienteering maps of the Vértes. From
this field, like from many other fields in the Vértes more maps were prepared in the last decades.
One of them is the map named Vértes 9 (on scale 1:25 000) from 1970.
From the later period we show two other maps, the map of the Simon Lajos Memorial Competition from 1999
(which was prepared relying on the correction of BEAC club), and the part of the map of Optimist Cup 2001
with the course of M60, on the Csákberény (Pagonyok) map of BEAC (2000):
The map of the Simon Lajos Memorial Competition from 1999, with the course of M60
A part of the map of Optimist Cup 2001 with the course of M60, on the Csákberény (Pagonyok) map
About the geology of the field: Geologically the territory of the map is built
from Upper Triassic Hauptdolomit (purple in the geological map, the rocks on the surface are darker purple)
and in some small territories (E and SW) Eocene limestone (dark brown). The SE sides are covered by Pleistocene
loess (yellow) and slope deposits (light brown), while in the valleys and the feet of the hilly area are Holocene
alluvial and proluvial sediments (light green).
The geological map of the territory
(edited by Zsolt Peregi, Geological Institute of Hungary)
About the village of Csákberény: The village is situated in the NW part of Fejér county,
at the feet of the Vértes Hill, partly in the Zámoly Basin. Its distance from Székesfehérvár is 25km,
from Mór 15km, from Budapest 65km. The country is an excellent area for excursions due to its special natural
conditions. We can get information about the village on its own website. This territory was crossed by the
military road from Aquincum (now NW part of Budapest) to Mogentiana (Keszthely), two Roman colonies were built by
this road in the 2nd. and 3rd centuries. Csákberény was part of Csókakő castle district from the 13th. century.
It was part of the Turkish Empire between 1543–1687 (for 144 years) and was depopulated during this period. On the
base of the traditions the bold hill by the boundary of the village (Strázsa-hegy) was the post of the Turks in this
period. The abandoned area was populated again from the year 1667, by Calvinists. After 1772 they built a church,
a rectory and a school. The castle of Csákberény was built in 1831 and was destroyed in the 1950s. The present
Calvinist church was built in 1788. The industrial railway was built in 1926, and it worked until 1958 to
transport the bauxite of Gánt to Bodajk, this railway was ensured the personal transport, too. During World War II
there were serious battles in the forests of the village. On the place of the castle the community centre was built
between 1959–1966. A golf course was built In Orondpuszta last year.
The view of Csákberény from the Vértes
About the prizes of the competition: The neighbouring village, Csákvár is famous for
its ceramics. Our prizes are connected to this: ceramic jugs (see the photo) for the first 6 of the World
Ranking Event and the winners of our competition, and ceramic plaques for the 2nd and 3rd places.
One of the ceramic jug prizes
Where is Csákberény?